At twenty years old, Doddridge entered the ministry. The first sermon was greatly blessed, seeing two souls brought to the Saviour. This he delivered on the 1 Corinthians 16:22 text, “If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.”
1. Do not I love thee, O my Lord?
Be-hold my heart and see;
And turn each curs-ed i-dol out,
That dares to ri-val thee.
2. Do not I love thee from my soul?
Then let me noth-ing love.
Dead be my heart to ev-’ry joy,
When Je-sus can-not move.
3. Is not thy name mel-o-dious still
To mine at-ten-tive ear?
Doth not each pulse with pleas-ure bound
My Sav-iour’s voice to hear?
4. Hast thou a lamb in all thy flock,
I would dis-dain to feed?
Hast thou a foe, be-fore whose face
I fear thy cause to plead?
5. Would not mine ar-dent spir-it vie
With an-gels round the throne,
To ex-e-cute thy sa-cred will,
And make thy glo-ry known?
6. Would not my heart pour forth its blood
In hon-our of thy name?
And chal-lenge the cold hand of death
To damp th’im-mor-tal flame.
7. Thou know’st I love thee, dear-est Lord:
But O! I long to soar
Far from the sphere of mor-tal joys,
And learn to love thee more.